Friday, February 4, 2011

And that's good, isn't it?

Over the course of the last 5 days, I've had an assortment of theatre forced upon me.....No just kidding ....It was completely willing ;)


First, let me flash back to Sunday afternoon. Now mostly every Sunday, I spend 12 hours a day starting at 8:30am sitting at a desk, checking people into yoga classes, and organizing our boutique's ....Now, while I love working at the yoga studio, and the peaceful energy that is exonerated as I watch each Upper East Sider exit the classroom, sweat pouring down their faces, anxieties ridden, freer and happier......I managed to win one free ticket to Chicago on Broadway for that afternoon, and couldn't have been more excited to dedicate that Sunday to one of my favorite Broadway shows of all time instead....

So, back in December, I entered a contest on Chicago's facebook page to win a free ticket to one specific performance, in which they had generated  the audience to consist entirely of facebook fans. They called this Chicago's Fan Day. Each audience member had won their ticket, by getting 10 of their facebook friends to 'like' their page. Doesn't sound too hard right? Well, I was determined to win, and yup: I was that girl. The one who updated her status every 10 minutes in order to get people to 'like' Chicago. I couldn't resist the effort in trying. I mean, a free ticket to Broadway? You don't have to ask me twice, especially since my 'starving actor' status is in full swing.

I arrived at 49th and Broadway an hour and a half before curtain and waited in line in the cold about a half a block away from the theatre. Although people were shoving their way through the line to cross the street, us Chicago fans were too busy anxiously awaiting our entry. Waiting in line usually bores me to tears, want to rip my hair out and take up smoking. However, this time, college aged girls dressed in red tights, fancy heels and Fosse hats danced their way from one end of the line to the other passing out slices of pizza, hot dogs, cups of hot coffee and cocoa, and delicious Chicago themed cupcakes. What's not to love? I took advantage of this fully, especially since it was free and I had been PMSing for about a week. Thank God for baked goods. :)
Meanwhile, other Chicago Reps made their way through the line with fun trivia questions offering prizes such as signed posters, Cd's and other Chicago paraphernalia. Unfortunately I did not win anything, but I did meet an eccentric man named Tony.....but get this: his job is that he's a "nominator". Meaning he gets paid by the American Theatre Wing to go see shows and nominate the one's he likes for Tony Awards. Now, as I am clearly one to believe in fate and happenstance, I found it quite uncanny I would meet a man named "Tony" who happens to be a "Nominator". Get it?....Tony Nominator.....Perhaps this is a premonition for my future?...I sure hope so.

Finally we made it inside the theatre. Dressed with red velvet curtains and seats and outlined by a luminescent gold trim, I couldn't help but feel right at home.
Seth Rudetsky was our host, and the show opened with a hilarious introduction to Broadway's first ever Internet crazed audience filled production. Although the whole thing sounds pretty corny to begin with, I am proud to include myself in this lunacy if I have a chance to experience live theatre. To me, there is really nothing better. While more trivia games and random seat number drawings produced dinner gift certificates and hotel stays for two for several lucky winners, I became more focused on Karen Ziemba sitting at the end of my row, and Chita Rivera a few rows down.
Not only was the audience made up of Chicago's most loyal facebook fans,  but the theatre harbored many of Chicago's most famous faces who originated roles, or left impressionable tony nominated performances for the world to admire. Well this day just got a whole lot better....

As the curtain rose, a gorgeous tall lanky broad, wearing half a shirt and fishnet stockings welcomed us to the performance. I looked forward to escaping for the next 2 hours to this imaginary, delicious musical world. 

The funny thing is, I had never actually seen Chicago performed live in its entirety before this day. I grew up listening to the soundtrack and singing the songs. I've watched countless renditions of Cell Block Tango performed at every school share day, among countless YouTube video's and Fosse documentaries. Accompanied by the fact, I had the great honor of studying for several years, and being directed by one of Chicago's  orginally revived cast members, who performed with and understudied Chita as the murderous villain, Velma Kelly. Not only did she teach us the original choreography to 'All that Jazz,' but I had the great pleasure of being directed by her in 'A Chorus Line' in my most favorite role to date: Diana Morales. All our choreography from A Chorus Line was  also the original Broadway choreography as well, as my director was also in the original 1975 cast as Donna Mckechnie's understudy. I will forever be grateful for her influence, knowledge and talent. She always pushed us to be better performers, and what's more of  a motivator than her own stories of how Fosse himself molded her into the triple threat performer she too dared all of us to be.

As I daydreamed about my days in school and learning from a Fosse protege, silence emerged and the orchestra set the stage for the first act. Soon I became sucked into an incredible performance filled with wit, sass, sex, murder and most importantly, strong female characters who come out on top. Now, THAT is my kind of musical. ;)

Intermission came and went. But not before I scurried to the bathroom to relieve myself before Act II. There I was at the sink, touching up my bright red lipstick to get back in the spirit, and fuel my feminism, when I look up to see Chita grabbing paper towels. Well, I couldn't help but introduce myself and boost her ego a bit by expressing my undying love and gratitude for the legendary performances she had once given. Chita was very gracious, asked me my name and thanked me for my kind words, then slipped back to her seat in her all white pant suit as if almost unnoticed...

The rest of the performance was certainly magical. I always have my criticisms, but today, I let myself be that tourist who falls in love with Broadway all over again....

Not only was Chicago revolutionary for it's time and for women, but its become one of the most famous musicals ever produced on Broadway. At some point, I'll have to write about the time I met John Kander unexpectedly and had his drivers license in my possession for 2 solid hours....But that's another story....... ;)

I find it's important to always give time to the things and people that inspire us. While it's essential to work and make money and survive, nothing fuels me more than the opportunity to be inspired. Once in awhile we all need to be inspired, so we can carry on with our lives more willing to love and inspire others. And that's the ever evolving  effect of universal theatre. It's a unique oil painting that's different everytime, and while people can type numbers into a computer, or watch movies on a screen, live theatre, is and forever will be a true HUMAN experience.

I leave you with one of my favorite numbers from the show. Enjoy!!





2 comments:

  1. Loved reliving this special performance day with you.Felt like I was there. How amazing that you got to meet the legendary Chita Rivera...what an exciting 'happenstance'! Also loved watching the performance by Bebe and Karen at the end. Continue to "Live the life you love".....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,

    Great story and love your blog!!!!

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete