Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A History of the Moirae:

I've aways been one to believe in fate. Fate or destiny, rather. They say everything happens for a reason, and I've come across a wide array of experiences that could only occur due to the plain and simple fact that it was supposed to happen. Now, don't get me wrong, I believe we humans have the ability to control our own fate, depending on the choices we make. However, these choices mark what inevitability is the destiny that God (or whatever higher power you believe in) has designed for us.


A few years back when I was in college, I had the great opportunity of studying ancient Greek theatre and classicism in the beauteous Greece itself. It was a great adventure, as we traveled by bus and boat from one ancient ruin to the next. Collecting artifacts and random bouts of knowledge, that any true theatrical artist would dream of acquiring. One of our professors who led us on this epic journey, happened to speak ancient Greek: a long forgotten language that was rarely used by many of Greece's native inhabitants. This became quite an advantage as he translated carved out sayings from ruin's in Olympia, or depicted the meaning of fragmented phrases located on archaeological sites in Delphi. As I learned of the Delphic Oracle, the history of the acropolis and the formation of the Theatre of Epidarus. Discovered the meaning of Greek Mythology to its people: the stories of Apollo and Athena, Dionysus and Aphrodite, to exploring the Tomb of Clytemnestra outside the Citadel of Mycenae, I discovered my love for Hellenistic Civilization and its impact on the world of theatre and art today.


I specifically remember one day that we explored the Minoan site at Knossos in Crete. It was the hottest day I've ever experienced. The sun was burning down on us, as we all tried to engage ourselves in this rich historic palace, and ignore the bullets dripping down our foreheads. As we walked through the now restored Labyrinth, I discovered a mosaic of what is most commonly known as 'The Fates,' The Greeks call them 'The Moirae', and in Roman Mythology they are referred to as 'The Parcae.'  I quickly became intrigued by this depiction of these three powerful women and their folklore.
As explained to us by our tour guide at the time, and better explained later by my professor, here's a little history of The Moirae:


The Moirae:


"Were the white-robed personifications of destiny. Their number became fixed at three.
The Greek word moira (μοῖρα) literally means a part or portion, and by extension one's portion in life or destiny. They controlled the metaphorical thread of life of every mortal from birth to death. Even the gods feared the Moirae. Zeus also was subject to their power, the Pythian priestess at Delphi once admitted." Klotho, whose name meant 'Spinner', spinned the thread of life. Lakhesis, whose name meant 'Apportioner of Lots'--being derived from a word meaning to receive by lot, measured the thread of life. Atropos whose name meant 'She who cannot be turned', cut the thread of life.
In their mythology: " The Moirae were supposed to appear three nights after a child's birth to determine the course of its life. The Greeks variously claimed that they were the daughters of Zeus, but this was just a speculation. In earlier times they were represented as only a few – perhaps only one – individual goddess. Homer's 'Iiliad'speaks generally of the Moera, who spins the thread of life for men at their birth.
The Moirae were usually described as cold, remorseless and unfeeling, and depicted as old crones or hags. The independent spinster has always inspired fear rather than matrimony: However, despite their forbidding reputation, Moirae could be placated as goddesses. Brides in Athens offered them locks of hair and women swore by them. They may have originated as birth-goddesses and only later acquired their reputation as the agents of destiny."

You can find more information about the Moirae at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moirae, (my current resource for description.)
So how do the Moirae fit into my life and this blog?
 I was completely inspired by the story of The Fates, and believe that perhaps they have something to do with my own destiny.
Over the course of the last 24 years of my life, I've had the opportunity to experience some really amazing things, and meet some incredible people. All of which, have loomed only as an outgrowth of happenstance. Many of these people I've met and experiences I've had have occurred in the theatre and entertainment world, coincidentally due to chance. I believe my passion for the arts have played a huge role in these happenstances, and that the path I've been working to create for myself, has garnished the way for the Moirae to lead me to my destiny.
So sit back, relax and join me in my recordings of daily events, incidences, chance meetings, memories revisited, theatrical reviews, and current creative pursuits. Please feel free to comment and share some of your own happenstances.

Until then, check out some of these amazing depictions of "The Moirae," including my personal favorite, William- Adolf Bouguereau’s, ‘Orestes Pursured by The Furies.’





No comments:

Post a Comment