Sunday, February 6, 2011

Compulsive Art



There is really nothing more invigorating than a piece of theatre that makes you think, question, or that pushes the boundaries. That's why I love The Public Theatre. I have never seen a play there I didn't like (knock on wood), and almost every single play they produce has some kind of political message.


A few nights ago, I had the great pleasure of seeing "Compulsion" at The Public's Martinson Hall Theater on it's 2nd night of previews. I saw it with a good friend of mine who supports New York theatre with the same kind of passion that I do. Now, let me say a few words about my good friend, whom we will call "Bobby" for privacy purposes.


[Bobby and I have been friends for going on 16 years. We first met back in the summer of god knows what year in the 90's and have remained good friends ever since. I'll never forget the first play we did together. It was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He played Charlie and I played Violet. Then it was him and I playing opposite in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe as Edmund and Lucy....Years later we worked in one of the most challenging and most rewarding roles I've ever acted in as husband and wife in Desire under the Elms, and next played Morales and Paul in A Chorus Line. Just this past summer he also assistant directed and staged managed a one act I directed at The Theatre at St. Clements. I guess you could say, he's my lifelong costar. :)
One reason why I love seeing shows with him, is not only the undaunting passion for theatre we both share, but for the fact he will always give his complete and honest opinion about every production. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't, but I always admire and value his opinions and perspectives. Additionally, he can dissect a piece of theatre quicker than a squirrel can crack a nut, and this my friends, is a god given talent that only few are born with. Additionally, he's witty, funny, understands my humor, and knows how to enjoy a good pre show meal, which makes the theatre going experience, that much more enjoyable.  I believe it's very important to selectively choose who you view a play with. It can make or break the experience as a whole.]


Here's one of my favorite pictures of us from a couple years ago, boating in central park.




Now, back to The Public. Their support of new writers and groundbreaking new works is a rare gift in which the world has been given. They are thought provoking, innovative and not afraid to think outside the box.


"Compulsion" was a poignant, beautifully directed and acted show, written by Rinne Croffe, directed by Oskar Eustis, and starring one of my favorite actors of all time, Mandy Patinkin.
It follows the writer, Sid Silverman on a grueling journey of compulsive passion, as he is driven to bring the story of Anne Frank to the heart of millions by promoting the diary's publication and in writing a stage adaptation of her book. However, one obstacle after another get's in Sid's way of achieving these goals, and he spends countless years of his life fighting to bring his desires and Anne's book justice.
 'Compulsion' questions the importance of morality, and how far a man is willing to go for the love of his work. His life's work became Anne's story, and his need to bring it to life, from his point of view. He eventually strove to be a 'better writer than Anne' and eventually took his obsession too far, burning his reputation and putting aside his wife and children.


Mandy's costar is a beautifully made, elegant, and grim looking puppet of Anne Frank's 'ghost.' The beginning of the play starts off with Sid writing, as Anne comes alive in his imagination. It is truly one of the most touching opening scene's of a play I've ever seen....But what start's out as an innocent love for a deceased child and a compelling piece of literature, soon begins to threaten his life and his family's. Without giving too much away, let me just say that it was most interesting and heartbreaking to watch the journey and progression of this man. How he started off so loving, but became so compulsively obsessed with Anne and her book that it drove him mad. If there is any character I sympathized for the most, it was his poor wife. She supported him through it all, and sacrificed her wants and needs to make him happy. However, blinded by his obsessions, Sid couldn't see past his own compulsive nature to acknowledge the love of his life right there in front of him. It wasn't until he almost lost her completely that he began to realize what really mattered in life.


Why is it that people take advantage of those they love the most, when they are the ones who should be showered with the most love and affection? Why does something life threatening and dire have to happen in order for people to wake up and see the truth. Sometimes, it's too late, but Sid had a second chance. Not everyone gets second chances. I know too many people who take advantage of the one's they love. I see it with my family and with my friend's....It's piece's of theatre like this, that can help clear away some of the blindness. If only everyone could be affected by theatre in that way. I suppose one of my own goal's in life, is to create theatre that will help cure the universal blindness of the world...but for now, I hope we can all concentrate better on embracing those we love before it's too late.


There was a part of me that empathized with and understood Sid's point of view, however. To love something so much you would die for it. To have so much ambition and determination and heart that other things in life become less important. However, no one understand's it except for you, and you feel completely alone in this passion. There were elements of comparrison I also found between Sid's character and George's from 'Sunday in the Park with George.' Mandy originated the role of George in 1985, when it opened on Broadway. A beautiful musical masterpiece by Stephen Sondheim, 'Sunday' tells the story of George Seurat, an innovative painter who becomes so obsessed with his art, that he loses the one he loves. However, what most don't realize is that George never created a separation between the two, and his love (Dot) was always present in his art and vice versa. Life and art were completely fused as one. It analyzes that eternally reknowned quote by Oscar Wilde, ''Life imitates art far more than art imitates life." Although Sid's character is much more extreme than George's. Seeing Mandy in this role, I couldn't help but see some similarities. My favorite Stephen Sondheim song, 'Finishing the Hat' depicts life as art and vice versa quite beautifully. Here, it is sung by Daniel Evans who played George in the most recent revival at Studio 54.




All in all, this play could not have been as effective as it was without Mandy's performance. His ability to completely lose and immerse himself in a character is pure magic. He is incredibly moving, and I couldn't imagine anyone else as Sid. Also, I cannot leave you without also noting Hannah Cabell's performance. Her ability to dissapear into two completely different roles almost simultaneously is utterly flawless.


Please go see 'Compulsion'. You will not regret it!
http://www.publictheater.org/component/option,com_shows/task,view/Itemid,141/id,1023

1 comment:

  1. Post 2: That was a really good review...HAVE you ever thought about being a theatre critic?

    ReplyDelete